in Cologne » Monuments
Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom)
Cologne’s Dom (cathedral), or also
“High Cathedral of St. Peter and Maria,” is the
landmark of Cologne and Germany’s tallest cathedral.
In 1248 Archbishop Konrad von Hochstaden laid the ground
work on the spot where that, in 870, a complete
Carolinian cathedral stood. The reason for the new
construction was that, in 1164, under Arch-
von Dassel from Milan the mortal remains of the
three Wisemen were carried to Cologne
to rest in peace. At first the construction
went quickly; it was, how- ever, due to a alack of
funds discontinued. Not until 1842 (!) and under
the auspices for the Prussian King did consturtion
resu- me. In 1880 Kaiser Wilhelm I dedicated the
building. It was, at that time, the largest
|building in the world with 8,000 m²
of floor space and 157 m tall. Since 1996, the Dom
has belonged to UNESCO’s World Cultural Heri- tage
listing. The Dom accommodates treasures of art,
which anyone must absolutely see, for instance, the Gold
Shrine with the remains of the Three Wisemen (c. 1200)
and the Gero Cross (c. 970), a monu- mental cross and the
oldest German-Renaissance work in the west. There
is also the colourful stained-glass, the beautiful choir
chairs, the Milan Madonna or the Dom painting from
Stefan Lochner (The Alter of the City Patrons from 1450)
can not be passed up. We re- commend viewing
the treasure vault and climbing the 95m tall tower,
where one can relish a magnificent view of Cologne.
The Dom is open daily from 6 am to
7.30 pm and can be visited during this period except on
devine services. More info at the "Domforum"
opposite the main portal.
1953, the remains of a palace were discovered which
turned out to be a headquarters from which the Romans
ruled Cologne and its suburbs. The stone remains now lies
under the city hall and can be viewed (please ask for
the visiting hours at tourist office). The viewing
belongs among the must-sees for every visitor to
Cologne. LOCATION: Kleine Budengasse.
NORTH TOWER. The owl cave belongs to the Roman
North Tower and was the passway through the right side.
It can be found directly at the tourism office. The
large middle entrance with Cologne’s intials as the
Roman colony (CCAA) is exhibited at the Roman-German Museum
at the south side of Cologne Cathedral. LOCATON:
Office" and the Dom (cathedral).
AQUEDUCTS. The Romans built a canal out of stone
and Roman concrete in the 2nd century to channel the
spring water from the Eifel over 90km away. 200 liters
of water came through the water canal within one hour. A
short piece of the aqueduct can be visited beside the
museum of applied arts. LOCATION: Drususgasse at the corner to the street "An der
TOWER. After Cologne’s reclassification to a
province in 50 ACE following a victory of the Ubier, the
first city was built. It was 4km long and had 19 smaller
towers. Still standing is the "Römerturm"
(roman tower), that once was part of the old roman wall
around Cologne. The tower still is ornamented with
coloured stones. LOCATION: Zeughausstrasse/corner
of St. Apern-Strasse.
The tower’s construction dates back to the time of the
Romans and was, at that time, Cologne’s first city
wall. Its name goes back to the middle ages when a
family named "Lysolph" owned and lived in that
tower. It was exposed and in 1964 when Cologne's subway
system was built. LOCATION: Komödienstrasse at the corner of Nord-Süd-Fahrt.
MONUMENT OF THE UBIER. Near the bank of river rhine
and to right of hotel maritim the monument of the ubier
can be visited as a stone made witness of the fact that
once southern access to Cologne's roman harbour was at
this place. The tower was built in the 4th century ACE
and it's the oldest of its kind northerly to the alpes. LOCATION:
An der Malzmühle 1.
IN COLOGNE I. Using internet booking machines
it's very easy searching for a hotel room in Cologne.
One of these special search engines is HRS - Hotel
Reservation Service with its many offers. Click the logo
IN COLOGNE II: Looking for a hotel room in Germany
there are some other good booking machines on the net
such as HOTEL.de. They also often have some cheap offers
given by good hotels in Cologne. Using the service is
Historical squares of Cologne's old town
Heumarkt & Altermarkt. Heumarkt (photo)
and Altermarkt are the lar- gest squares in the Altstadt
and have a long history. Heumarkt was, during the
Mieddle-Ages, a large trade market. Worth seeing,
among others, is the “Zum St. Peters” house (1568
built in the style of the
||later renaissance). At the center of the
is the Altermarkt (old market). The duplex
“Zum Bretzel and Zum Dorn,“ built in 1580 in a
renaissance style, with its tradi- tional gables and
its artisitically decorated windows is a
particularly worthwhile site. A fountain from 1884
the center of
the square containing the statue
of Calvary General Jan von Werth. The "Kallendresser",
a small bronze figure from Ewald Mataré under- neath the
roof of the house 24 Alter Markt, offers the viewer a
look at the its backside and shows what's sometimes on
its mind about the local politics working in the city
hall across the street. Looking up the tower of the city
hall the face of the "Platzjabbeck", a wood
carved bust, appears and sticks its tongue out at
onlookers. Both figures show the coarse cynicism that is
held for those in office and of rank.
Next subway stops: Dom/Hbf or
Heumarkt. Information about guides through the Altstadt
at Cologne’s tourism office (KölnTourismus) at phone
holy Cologne and her churches
The church was dedicated in the 4th century to the
marriage of the holy Gereon, a Christian martyr. In 1227
began the construction of the contemporary structure.
The decagon is particularly artistic. Buried in the
tombs are kings, such as Hildebold, Cologne’s first
Archbishop. WHERE? Gereonstrasse.
APOSTELN. The basilica dates back to the 11th
century. Typical is the three major summits; on
the other wside, two thin towers spring upward; in the
middle section, an octagonal tower; and a 67m tall
“Apostelklotz”. After World War II the old
structures were renovated and new parts added; modern
elements and old fused with one another WHERE?
URSULA. The church was dedicated in honor of the
marriage of the Holy Ursula in 1135. The king's daughter
and her eleven attendants (maids) were murdered during
the marriage ceremony by invading hordes of Huns. Inside
of the church 19 paintings from Stefan Lochner depicting
the Ursula legend are exposed to the public. WHERE?
ST. MARTIN. An age old basilica in the middle of the
Altstadt (old towne) and, next to the Dom (cathedral),
one of the most striking points in the Rhine’s
panorama in Cologne. The church dates back to the 11th
century. In the interior one can trace the forms of the
centuries. WHERE? "An Gross St. Martin"
near the Altstadt Rhine promenade.
MARIAE HIMMELFAHRT. The church, from 1689, is the
largest Baroque church in Cologne. The building concept
is a mixture between Romance and Gothic styles with the
forms of the Baroque period: the windows reflect a
Gothic style and the bell tower a Romance influence. In
the interior the sculptures and paintings are
particularly worth seeing. WHERE? Marzellenstr.
SEVERIN. The building lays on an old Roman cementary
and is without question the oldest House of God in
Cologne. Aspects of the sturcture date back to the 10th
century which were later augmented or changed
altogether. Internally, the décor is, for the most
part, held in good condition. WHERE? Severinskirchplatz
near to Severinstrasse and not far from Chlodwigplatz.
Copyright 2012 - NICE
Cologne Cathedral (Kölner Dom)
Rathaus (town hall)
Altstadt (old city) and the Rhine’s
The City Towers